8/08/2007

And now there is one

Last year right before Aidan was born Dylan received 3 goldfish from a friend of the family. Within two months of getting them all set up in their tank one of them jumped out of the tank and didn't survive.

Then there were two which Dylan named Nemo and Jaime (not sure how he came up with those names) and things have been fine. Then about 2-3 weeks ago I was in the living room and Dave and Dylan were in the den (Aidan was in bed) and Dave went into the kitchen and called my name, sort of panicky. I ran in and there on the kitchen floor was Nemo, or was it Jaime (who could tell). I quickly picked him/her up and put him/her back in the tank and he/she swam around just fine.

This morning I went in to start our normal breakfast routine and while pouring cereals into bowls I noticed only one fish. Now sometimes the tank will play tricks on my eyes and the other one is just laying low in the corner. Well not this morning. The other one, once again no idea whether it was Jaime or Nemo was laying on the counter behind the tank. I grabbed the net and got it up off the counter and put it in some water to see if maybe it had just happened. Nope, it was all over for him/her. Since it was 7:15 in the morning we chose not to mention anything to Dylan, plus he never even notices them. So I put Jaime or Nemo in a plastic bag and put him/her out for the garbage men this morning. And now there is one.

I did tell Dylan that there is now only one fish in the tank because the other one jumped out and couldn't breathe and is now in fish heaven. And of course because Dylan always asks questions, that was followed up by 3 minutes of questions like where is fish heaven? up above our house? and so on.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

my theory is going to be....no pets, no fish, no questions :-)

but none the less....very sad for the fish.

Anonymous said...

We had two fish that Alex got at a party when he was small. One died and because it was winter Bob placed it in a plastic bag on the freezer door shelves until we could give it a funeral after the ground thawed. After just so many weeks of opening the freezer and seeing those two black eyes staring at me, I made Bob take it out to the garage. Shortly after the first one died, the second one jumped out of the bowl--lonely, I guess--and then we had none. I don't remember too much grieving and I was glad to get the bowl off of the counter.

Anonymous said...

Well obviously Nemo passed and not Jaime because that fish is way too cool ( no bias coming from it's namesake )...Nemo will be missed.