2/14/2008

gDiapers

To help reduce our contribution to the amount of garbage in this world I have decided to switch Aidan over from disposable diapers to gDiapers. I would love to do cloth but thought this transition would work best for us.

For those who are unfamiliar with what a gdiaper is here is info directly from their site:

"gDiapers consist of a washable, cotton outer pant and a plastic free flushable refill. They are made of breathable material just like sports clothing. So, babies stay dry and happy and are far less likely to get diaper rash.
Can't flush? It's ok to toss flushable refills because they're plastic-free. Or garden compost the wet ones. They'll break down in 50-150 days"

I started with a starter kit and found them to be easy to use so now I have ordered more and hopefully Aidan will be wearing them all the time (except at night when I will continue to use overnight disposables).

The thing I like best about the gdiapers is that I can still throw them out when they are too messy to flush and not worry about them taking up a lot of space or not biodegrading quickly. And once I get my compost pile started this spring I will be tossing them in there. And I just LOVE how cute Aidan looks in them:

3 comments:

Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin said...

flushable?!?!?! what size diameter plumbing pipes do you need? 10 inches? I'd be afraid of them clogging the pipes.

Lauren Clerkin said...

actually after you wrip off the outer shell and put the inside cottony part in the toilet and swish it around one time (with a special stick they give you)it completely falls apart. And then you toss in the outer part during the flush. I am more likely going to do 1/2 flushing and 1/2 toss in the diaper champ.