9/16/2008

OMG, the cost to help the environment

So, as you know from my previous post I enjoy watching Planet Green. Even before watching this channel I knew how benefitial solar panels are for your home and how you can basically make your electric meter turn backwards from harnessing the sun's energy.

Since we are building up next year on the house I thought now would be a good time to look into the option of adding solar panels to the house to help cut our expenses on electric. Well in my initial findings I found that it would cost about $35,000 to get the panels. I was shocked at the cost. I had been hoping they would help heat the house and heat the pool in the summer. So, now I am on to looking into green roofing to see if that is an option to help reduce our energy needs.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I looked in "the green book" for you with regards to roofing & building. There is mention of "highly reflective roofing." ... doesn't say much more but apparently it saves energy.

Have you thought about starting smaller with the solar panels and just install a solar water heater at first instead?