6/24/2008

OMG, 26.

A little less than 2 weeks ago I was getting lunch ready and had to test Dylan before he eat. He was acting normal and hadn't done any reall physical activity that morning. I tested him, looked at the meter and saw 26!!!!! I was in shock, literally. I sort of started to panic because that is a seriously low number for him. I quickly grabbed the glucose tablet bottle and gave him two and told him to sit on the floor and relax and let the tablets kick in. He kept arguing with me about it because he was hungry and wanted to eat; of course he was hungry his sugar level was 26 (remember he should be between 100 and 200). I convinced him to sit down on the floor and wait a few minutes. Then I let him get up and tested him again after 10 minutes and he was only 54. I let him start eating but as he was eating his eyes began to droop and it looked like he was going to pass out. I kept talking to him and rubbing his head to keep him awake. Decided to give him another glucose tab and some juice to get him higher. Eventually he was more awake and was onto the second half of his sandwich. I gave him his shot and he asked me what had happened to his other part of his sandwich. He was so out of it that he didn't remember eating the first half. Quite scary.

It took me awhile to write this because it was pretty upsetting for me to experience. And I pray he never goes that low again.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

WOW! very scary. Sorry that you had to go through that. So, in any case for no reason his numbers can drop JUST LIKE THAT with out warning signs? ugh.
not fun!

Lauren Clerkin said...

usually there are signs like signs of fatigue or paleness in his face, but he didn't really show these. He did have a different breakfast, but it wasn't that much lower in carbs.
Usually when he is running around a lot we will test him at 11:30, but this day we had just gone shopping so nothing major.