9/01/2007

To CFL or not to CFL

I have been debating the issue on whether to convert all of our light bulbs to CFLs. I know the pro is cutting down on the use of energy, but the con is that they have mercury in them. I have read that when it comes time to dispose of them there really isn't a safe way to do it without risking the mercury leaking into the environment. I know that the bulbs will last a long time and maybe by then they will have a safe way of recycling them, but will they?

Here is an article I found on the subject if you are interested:
article

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting... I did not know they contained mercury! Thanks.
Well it's as easy as every time one goes bad, hold on to it, until you make a trip to your township's 'hazardous waste collection'. Same place you should be discarding batteries, old thermostats, pool chemicals, expired prescriptions, paint and electronics. :-)

Lauren Clerkin said...

Yeah, I guess I could do that. But do you know how long I held onto dead batteries before turning them in?...........almost 1 year.

ray said...

Two comments. First, every flouroscent bulb contains mercury. It is nothing new with the CFLs. Secondly, they can be disposed of the same as any household hazardous waste product. Here in Middlesex County, once a month at different locations they accept hazardous items which include fluorescent bulbs. http://www.njhazwaste.com/midhome.htm As a side note businesses improperly disposing of fluorescent lamps may be held liable under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA)